5 Easy, Lazy Crockpot Recipes Perfect for Winter
Those chilly winter days make you want to stay bundled up on the couch. You can still serve a hot, home-cooked meal without all of the effort in the kitchen, with these perfect lazy crockpot recipes. They’ll be delicious and warm you right up!
- Jambalaya: This is perfect for feeding a crowd, or for making enough to store in tupperware for a quick meal. It only takes 20 minutes to prep, and it’s ready in 5 hours. This recipe will serve 8, but you can cut it back if you don’t want to make that much. Get some Andouille sausage for a true Creole flavor, add the chicken and other spices. Mix in the broth and veggies, and let it sit. Before you serve it, pop in some shrimp and rice the last 30 minutes, and crank up the heat to High. Simple enough. Now you have a delicious bowl of authentic New Orleans flavor!
- Sweet and Spicy Chicken: This recipe requires just 15 minutes of prep time, and serves a total of 6. It takes about 8 hours to cook, so make sure to start this early. Chop your chicken breasts up into large bite-sized chunks. The chicken will cook down. Combine the chicken, sweet and sour sauce, barbecue sauce, garlic, and onion all in the slow cooker. Set to low, and let it sit from 7-9 hours. Make sure the chicken reaches a temperature of 165 degrees to know it’s cooked thoroughly.
- French Onion Soup: This recipe is simple and takes little prep time, but it does take over 12 hours to cook – perfect for long days at work! Chop up several sweet onions and combine with beef broth. Let this sit for about 11 hours. Ladle out into a oven safe dish. Add a hearty piece of toast, and cover with cheese. Let it broil for a few minutes to melt the cheese, and then serve. You’ll be in heaven.
- Sloppy Joes: The crockpot is perfect for pulling all of the flavors out in the sloppy joe. You’ll never want to go back to the stove top version after you’ve had this. Before putting everything in the slow cooker, first brown the ground beef with the onion and garlic. Drain the excess fat, and pour everything else into the crockpot. Add the tomato sauce, bell peppers, seasonings, and Worcestershire sauce. Let everything simmer together for 5-7 hours on low. Get some fresh rolls, and slop it on!
- Tikka Masala: This crock pot recipe is so simple, and so tasty. It only takes about 15 minutes of prep time, too. Start by heating the oil in a skillet on the stovetop. Add in the onion and garlic and stir until it’s brown. Mix in tomato paste and tomatoes. Make a roux, and add to the pan. Add in the spices and bring to a boil for one minute. Put the chicken thighs in the slow cooker and add in the pan mixture. Cook on low for 7 hours. Before serving, whisk in coconut milk, and cook on high for 15 minutes. Serve over rice and add a dollop of yogurt on top.
You can customize any recipe to fit any family size and food preference. There’s a little something for everyone here. Try something new tonight without spending hours over the stovetop. Slow cooker meals will be your new favorite go-to for a cold winter day.