Weighted Blanket – What Is It and What Are the Benefits?
Weighted blankets have been around for a while, but it seems they have become increasingly popular in the last few years. If you don’t have one yet, you may be wondering what they are exactly and what benefits they can bring you. After all, they cost quite a bit more than a traditional blanket – so you should definitely know what you’re buying and why.
- What Is a Weighted Blanket?: A weighted blanket is just that – a blanket that has additional weights in it to make it heavier than your traditional blanket. The “weights” can vary depending on the manufacturer, but they are often glass beads or plastic pellets. You might also find weighted blankets that are made with rice or other grains.
- How Do I Know Which Blanket to Buy?: This is a very popular question when it comes to making your first weighted blanket purchase – how heavy a blanket should you buy? Most people recommend that you buy a blanket that’s 10% of your body weight plus a pound or two. But this is also a matter of personal choice. You may prefer a lighter blanket or even a heavier one depending on what you hope it will do.
- What Are the Benefits of a Weighted Blanket?: With most weighted blankets costing between $100 and $300, you definitely should know what benefits a weighted blanket might bring you.
- Increase Relaxation: Weighted blankets work on the premise that they provide “deep touch pressure.” This pressure is believed to increase your body’s production of serotonin – a neurotransmitter that is known to release a chemical that aids in relaxation.
- Help Reduce Your Anxiety and Stress: A study found that dental patients who were given a weighted blanket were less anxious about their dental appointment than those who were not. This is once again attributed to the “deep touch pressure” that a weighted blanket provides.
- Combat Symptoms of Restless Leg Syndrome: Restless Leg Syndrome (RLS) is a disorder that causes people to have uncomfortable sensations in their legs. RLS causes people to move their legs often in hopes of making the sensations go away. Those suffering from RLS say that a weighted blanket improves their sleep quality as it applies gentle pressure to their legs which helps to keep the sensations at bay.
- Improve Your Sleep Quality: Sleep studies have been done where people used a weighted blanket in hopes of improving the quality of their sleep. Studies have shown that weighted blankets help those with insomnia. It increased the amount of time they slept and decreased their movements during the night.
- Where Can I Buy a Weighted Blanket?: Weighted blankets are available in a wide variety of places. If you’re interested in doing some research as to which blanket may be best for you, start by checking out these blankets:
- Quality Premium Adult Weighted Blanket – Available in many sizes, this is one of Amazon’s highest-rated weighted blankets.
- Gravity Blanket – Available in several sizes and colors, you can even find a blanket that weighs up to 35 pounds here.
- Adult Weighted Blanket – Etsy has lots of retailers selling weighted blankets; this one has great ratings and is machine washable.
If you’re considering purchasing a weighted blanket, do some research first. Read reviews and decide which one will work best for you. Hopefully, you’ll soon be enjoying all the benefits of a good night’s sleep with your new blanket.