5 Winter Entertaining Ideas
When the weather is cold it’s a natural instinct to want to stay inside. Of course, just because it’s cold doesn’t mean that you don’t want to hang out with your friends. But what can you do? It’s not like summertime where you can throw a barbecue or hang out at the pool. Don’t worry. Winter entertaining can be just as fun. Here are some ideas you might try.
- Progressive Dinner. This is a great way to get together with friends during the winter. A progressive dinner has you visiting different homes for different courses of a meal. Start with an appetizer at one home and then move to the next friend’s place for salad and/or soup. The next stop is the main course. You can then end up at someone’s place for dessert or add an additional stop for an after dinner drink. If you are the organizer of the progressive dinner, you can decide on the theme. If this is your first time, you might choose a theme that is easy for everyone to find a dish for, for example, “A Taste of Italy.” Additionally, you should probably volunteer to host the main course as it’s usually the most labor intensive. But, the best thing is that you don’t have to cook all of the courses – your friends will help, too!
- Dessert Party. Does winter weather make you crave sweets? If yes, then a dessert party with all of your friends could be the perfect excuse to get together. This is a great event for families, also. There’s always plenty of sweet treats to go around. Once again you can pick a theme if you like – chocolate is always popular! Or, let everyone bring their favorite dessert. Be prepared to share recipes and you can provide the beverages for those attending.
- Oscars Party. When the Oscars roll around each February you can grab all of your movie-loving friends to come over and watch. Want to make it special? Have everyone dress-up like they’re attending the actual event. Black tie it is! Serve some champagne and gourmet appetizers while you watch Hollywood’s greatest collect their awards. And, make sure you have everyone fill in their ballots to pick the winners. You can always give movie tickets as a prize!
- Chili Cookoff. Winter is the ideal season for chili. It’s warm and hearty and delicious. Yet, everyone has a different chili recipe. Invite your friends to make their very best chili and throw it in a crockpot for a taste testing session. As the host, you can provide all of the toppings. Shredded cheese, diced onions, sour cream, olives, and jalapenos are all popular things to add to a hot bowl of chili. Rolls or cornbread can round out the meal nicely, too.
- Game Night. Invite your friends and their kids over for a game night during the colder months. Ask your friends to bring a board game they love – or even video games like Jackbox Party. You can set adults up to play games in one area of your home and the kids in another area.
Serve some great drinks and appetizers and you are good to go! Or, if you want to make it even easier – order in! Pizza is always popular or maybe Indian food if everyone is up for sharing! Winter entertaining doesn’t have to be complicated. Your friends will just appreciate that you thought of them and took the time to invite them. Now is the time to send out that text message and let everyone know that it’s time to get together at your place!