Tips for Finding the Perfect Roommate
Finding a great roommate can be difficult, but it is one of the most important decisions you can make. After all, they will be living with you for an indefinite amount of time.
There are many criteria that you need to consider before committing to someone, and it is hard to know what all of them should be. Luckily for you, there are some essential tips that can help you find the perfect person to share your space with – and ensure that everyone has a great experience.
- Give yourself time: Finding the perfect person to live with isn’t easy, and it can take time. Don’t rush into an arrangement that you aren’t completely comfortable with – because remember; they will be living in your space. If you have been searching for a while without any luck, consider using a platform where you can post ads looking for someone specific, so potential roommates know exactly what type of person you are looking for. This cuts back on wasted messages from people who don’t meet your criteria.
- Establish some criteria: As you begin your search, it’s essential to establish what type of person and roommate they will be. If you can make a list of some criteria before starting the process, that will help put all potential roommates on an equal playing field. This is especially true if you are looking for someone specific – such as another female living alone or maybe a professional who doesn’t stay up too late.
- Be clear about everything: You don’t want to assume anything, so it’s best to be completely open about everything that will affect each other in daily life – especially if moving into a space with people you are not familiar with. Do they smoke? Have pets? Are they messy or neat freaks?
- Willingness to get along and compromise goes a long way when establishing rules for living together, so make sure both parties can do their part. When it comes down to it, finding someone who enjoys hanging out with you is just as important as them being able to pay rent on time.
- Ask friends and family: If you don’t know anyone who is looking to live with someone, ask around and see if any of your friends or family members have a friend that might be interested. This can save you from having to go through the process on your own, and it’s really easy since they will already know all about them.
- Use social media: Look for people on social media that may be interested in sharing a place with you. Facebook is one of the most popular ways to find roommates as it’s typically used by people who already know each other and have established some level of trust – such as friends or family members.
- Trust your gut: If you’re not sure about someone, trust your instincts. If it doesn’t feel like a good fit or there is something that makes you uncomfortable – don’t settle for anything less than what’s best. It might be hard to find the perfect roommate but keep at it, and eventually, you will land on one.
- Create a roommate agreement together – and sign it: Having an agreement that you both sign is a good idea, especially if there are any special rules you’d like to set in place. Think of it as the ultimate contract between roommates – so make sure everything is ironed out before moving forward! This can help avoid future problems and misunderstandings, which could lead to bad feelings down the road. If one roommate does not hold up their end by following through with what was agreed upon, they may be able to legally take action against them for breach of contract.
Good roommates are out there! You just need to take your time, know where to look, and ask smart questions.