Ways to Boost Your Self-Esteem
Do you want to feel confident and sure of yourself? Then there’s no better way to do that than to boost your self-esteem. Everyone has moments in their lives when they feel low, but the key is finding ways to make yourself feel happy again! Here are some practical tips on how to build confidence for a happier life.
- Figure out what negative beliefs you have: Figure out what negative beliefs you have about yourself. Your feelings of confidence are directly related to overcoming these negative thoughts and actions. If you don’t know where to start, try writing down your self-perceived flaws on a piece of paper. Then, next to each flaw, note why it is not true. For example, if one of your self-perceived flaws is that people often think you are cold towards them, continue the sentence with: “People think I am cold towards them because I’m shy.” This exercise forces you to confront your negative beliefs and change how you view yourself. In turn, this can help improve your sense of self-esteem over time.
- Surround yourself with positive people: Positive people tend to have positive outlooks on life. If you are around these types of individuals, they will encourage good thoughts and feelings about yourself – and your self-esteem will improve. The more positivity that’s surrounding you, the better!
- Don’t be afraid of challenges: Do you have a fear of taking on new challenges or trying new things? Everyone feels this way at times! However, if you want to boost your self-esteem and confidence levels, then take on some new tasks that challenge yourself. And, if you do not feel comfortable trying something new or difficult by yourself, try asking a friend for help or advice. This will make the task less daunting and more fun while also boosting your morale.
- Practice Saying No: If you are a people pleaser, then it can be hard to say no. The problem with being a pushover is that someone will take advantage of your kindness and generosity, which can lead to resentment – of both them and you – as well as lower self-esteem. There’s nothing wrong with helping others, but if someone asks too much from you or crosses boundaries, it is okay to say no.
- Reach out when feeling down: Sometimes we all need help and encouragement in order to boost our moods. Reach out to friends and family members who love you because they’ll be there to pick you up – even when you’re not feeling it. If you are having a hard time reaching out to them, send an email or text message letting them know that you would like someone to talk with. You might be surprised how happy they are to help!
- Improve your health: Doing things to improve your health will also boost your self-esteem. Eating healthy, getting enough sleep, and exercising all contribute to feeling great about yourself! Taking care of your body is one way you can take care of yourself, and it helps you love who you are inside and out.
- Be kind to yourself: Be your biggest cheerleader! Be kind to yourself, and don’t let the judgments of others get you down. If someone says something negative about you, brush it off because what they think doesn’t matter–the only thing that matters is how YOU feel about yourself. It takes practice not to take the words of others to heart but treating yourself as well as you treat others goes a long way.
Self-esteem ebbs and flows with good days and bad days. But when you keep these tips in mind, hopefully, you’ll experience more good days and boost your self-esteem levels – making way for a happier life.